In celebration of Tax Day today, we dug into our Singles in America data and found that singles across the country spend on average a whopping $1,596 a year on their dating lives! The top spenders around the country who spend the most per year on dating (in order) are San Antonio, Atlanta, Baltimore, Nashville, and NYC. This includes everything from new date night outfits to bar tabs and dating apps. Dating these days can sometimes feel more like a part time job which got us thinking, wouldn’t it be great if singles were able to deduct some of these expenses when filing their taxes?
Here are just a few of the expenses that would be ripe for deductions:
- Bar tab/Coins for laundry/Gym membership – Your odds of scoring a first date after dropping a little cash at these establishments: Flirting at the bar (64%), in the laundromat (43%) or at the gym (42%) — are deemed the most successful! So, shouldn’t you be able to write these off?
- Chicken noodle soup – Both men and women regard far more traditional actions as signs of love and commitment. The most important moment includes caring for them when they are sick (87%). We all know that making chicken noodle soup can be quite an endeavor depending on your recipe. The long list of ingredients, the time–all that aside, at least you have pretty good odds of winning his or her heart…and isn’t that priceless? (P.S. – Want a recipe that won’t break the bank or take you all day, check out Betty Crocker’s easy chicken noodle soup here. Delish!)
- Grooming/pampering – 37% of men say they feel pressure and stress in their life due to their looks and appearance (compared to 46% of women). Haircuts, shaving products, makeup, and finding the right pants can add up to a pretty penny. Therefore, the next time you’re on a date, be sure to compliment how great they look! They’ve made an investment in themselves for you — flattered?
- A new smartphone – Women are 92% more likely to judge you negatively for having an older model phone, and those who use an iPhone are particularly critical of those with older models. In fact, those who have older models are 56% less likely to get a date within the year. Singles are turned off by cracked screens too. Gen Xers and Boomers are far more likely than Millennials to judge you negatively for your cracked screen; and women are 86% more likely than men to judge you negatively for a cracked screen.
- Uber rides – Discussing your love life with your Uber driver increases your odds of having sex by 213% (or 3x). We’re not saying you need to talk their ear off, but a little chatter might get you rolling under the sheets later.
Do you have other dating expenses you wish you could receive a nice deduction on? Share your thoughts with us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram at @Match using the hashtag #MatchTaxDay.