Today’s Trending Topics is all about George Clooney and what we’ve uncovered about him in our 5th Annual Singles in America study. (Well, what we’ve uncovered about single men in general.) We’re calling it the “Clooney Effect.”
Like George Clooney, many men seek the “new woman” – someone who is smart, powerful and self-sufficient. 87% of single men would date a woman who makes ‘considerably more’ money and who is considerably better-educated and more intellectual than themselves; 86% seek a woman who is confident and self-assured, and 39% would also make a long-term commitment to a woman who is 10 or more years older.
This trend is sweeping the nation. Here are a few of our favorite “Clooney Effect” couples:
Natalie Portman and Benjamin Millepied
- Portman was a semi-finalist in the Intel Science Talent Search competition in high school. She studied neuroscience and psychology at Harvard University and attended graduate school at The Hebrew University in Jerusalem. She’s fluent in Hebrew and has studied Japanese, Arabic, French, and German.
Elizabeth Banks and Max Handelman
- Banks graduated magna cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania. She’s also a member of the Massachusetts Junior Classical League.
Kate Beckinsale and Len Wiseman
- Beckinsale won the W.H. Smith Young Writerss Competition twice in her teens for short stories and poems. She also studied French and Russian literature at New College, Oxford. She’s fluent in French, Russian, and German. As if that’s not enough, she also has a reported IQ of 152.
Shakira and Gerard Piqué
- Shakira is a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador and a member of the President’s Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics. In addition to her native Spanish, she speaks English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Arabic and Catalan.
Claire Danes and Hugh Dancy
- Danes studied psychology at Yale and attended the Dalton School, the New York City Lab School for Collaborative Studies, the Professional Performing Arts School, and the French-speaking Lycée Français de Los Angeles.