These are called “Pillows of Love” in Italian. It is a great dish because it’s easy to make and perfect for two people. You both can work on the gnocchi as well as the sauce, so put your match to work! -Fabio
Gnocchi de Patate
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 lbs. potatoes, baked for 45 mins at 400 degrees, cooled, and mashed
- 25-30 Cherry tomatoes, whole
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Crushed red pepper
- Extra Parmesan for topping
- Salt and pepper
1. In a stand up mixer with a paddle attachment, combine the flour and Parmesan with a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper; mix well. Add the mashed and cooled potatoes into the mixer and let mix for about 5 minutes on medium until the dough is nice and unified.
2. Remove the dough from the mixer and roll into one ball. Cut the mass in fist-sized balls and roll them with the palm of you hand until forming a cigar shaped roll. With the help of a knife, cut dumplings about ½ inch in length.
3. In the meantime, add 2 tbs. of extra virgin olive oil into a medium saute pan. Once warmed, add the cherry tomatoes and cook over medium heat until cherry tomatoes are blistered, about 10 minutes. Add pinch of salt, some crushed red pepper and 10 basil leaves, set aside.
4. In a pot of salted boiling water, cook the Gnocchi until a few of them are floating. Add them to the tomatoes and cook them on medium heat for about 3 minutes. Top with extra Parmesan.